Making Multi-Colored Bath Bombs (DIY Bath Fizzies) Video

In the video below I’m going to show you how to make easy multi-colored bath bombs using a meat baller to mold.

Multi Colored Bath Bombs

Multi-Colored Bath Bomb Recipe

• Baking Soda – 1 cup
  • Citric Acid – 1/2 cup
  • Cream of Tartar – 1/2 tablespoon
  • Kaolin Clay – 1/2 tablespoon
  • Fine Sea Salt – 1/2 tablespoon
  • Avocado Oil – 1 teaspoon (or any liquid oil of your choice)
  • Polysorbate 80 – 1 teaspoon
  • Fragrance – 1 teaspoon (I used lavender essential oil)
  • A spray bottle with alcohol. Some people use witch hazel; I just think alcohol makes a harder bomb. I use 70%.
  • Bath Bomb RED – Batch Certified FD&C Red No. 40 Aluminum Lake (Mad Micas)
  • Bath Bomb YELLOW – Batch Certified FD&C Yellow No. 5 Aluminum Lake (Mad Micas)

Enjoy the video!

By | 2017-04-24T10:04:37+00:00 April 21st, 2017|Bath Bombs and Bath Fizzies|19 Comments

1. Nicole May 11, 2017 at 2:38 pm - Reply

Hello. What size meatball scoop are you using?

2. Terry April 29, 2017 at 11:24 am - Reply

Amanda – what does Polysorbate 80 do for the bombs? Is it absolutely necessary. Like to avoid synethetic ingredients if I can. And, can any other clay be added in place of Kaolin? THANKS A LOT. Love your blog and videos.

• Amanda Gail April 29, 2017 at 11:38 am - Reply

The polysorbate helps to emulsify the oils/fragrance into the water. It isn’t necessary, but they can be messy in the tubs if the oils don’t emulsify. 🙂

• Terry Friedman April 29, 2017 at 1:39 pm - Reply

Aw. Do you use micas to color yours?

With polysorbate is there no oil left on the tub floor and walls? It rinses clean?

Thanks for your help.

• Rosie May 21, 2017 at 3:52 pm - Reply

without poly 80 your oils and micas will float on top of the water and not mix in with the water and it will leave a ring around your tub and stick to your skin. the tiny amount of poly80 will make it so you dont feel greasy, there is no ring of color on the tub or on your skin.

lakes are better emulsified in the water, but if you use micas, they will not mix in the water.

3. Carol April 26, 2017 at 9:53 am - Reply

Hi Amanda!!!

I am from PR and I can’t find the Polysorbate can you tell me what other aditive can I use.

4. Angie Twitchel April 25, 2017 at 12:05 pm - Reply

I’m ordering a press this week from Amazon! Thanks for being awesome Amanda 🙂

5. Yolande Adedokun April 25, 2017 at 8:28 am - Reply

I made this recipe, however, the bottoms are flattening out. I placed the bombs on a tray, towel and laid bubble wrap on top. What else can I do to keep this from happing?? Thank you.

6. Yolande Adedokun April 25, 2017 at 7:34 am - Reply

I’ve have tried this recipe, however, I keep having a flat bottom on my bath bombs while it’s drying. I use a tray, towel and laid bubble wrap on top of the towel. What would be another option? Thank you.

7. Nancy Gullette April 24, 2017 at 12:59 pm - Reply

Hi Amanda! I don’t have any Kaolin Clay. Should I use a bit more cream of tartar?
    Thanks – I really enjoyed the video.

8. Barbara Drobnick April 22, 2017 at 4:44 pm - Reply

Thank you for the tutorial! I’ve been making bath bombs with a meatball press for many, many years. I offer a tip for those who experience pain in their hands, arms, and shoulders from pressing bath bombs. I bought an arbor press about four years ago like this one (http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=1%2F2+Ton+Arbor+Press) at Harbor Freight. They can be found on Amazon too. It doesn’t take a lot of pressure and the metal meatball press has held up under the light pressure. The bombs come out very smooth, and the amount of pressure needed from my hands and arms is very minimal. Fewer trips to my chiropractor and it’s reduced the pain from my carpal tunnel syndrome. I hope this tip helps.

9. Melonie April 22, 2017 at 12:44 am - Reply

Do the lakes turn the water pretty colors?

• Amanda Gail April 22, 2017 at 8:28 am - Reply

Yes, the definitely color the water. 🙂

10. Lauri Strain April 21, 2017 at 8:54 pm - Reply

Did you make all of these pretty bath Fizzies in your van?

• Amanda Gail April 22, 2017 at 8:29 am - Reply

Ha no! 🙂 We are visiting Benjamin’s parents, so I wrecked their kitchen. 🙂

11. Cathy April 21, 2017 at 8:04 pm - Reply

Hey Amanda,
    Got my moon press today. Anxious to try it out. Hated to miss seeing you guys Thursday night.
    Cathy Rechtermann

• Amanda Gail April 22, 2017 at 8:30 am - Reply

Sorry to miss you! Have fun playing with your moon press. 🙂

12. Yolande Adedokun April 21, 2017 at 7:22 pm - Reply

What if you don’t have cream of tartar. Can you just double up on the Kaolin Clay? Thanks Also, I would love to see some bombs made with just natural colorants.

• Amanda Gail April 21, 2017 at 7:54 pm - Reply

Cream of tarter really helps to harden it. You could either just omit or add more clay. If you add more clay you might have to spray more. 🙂