Cocoa and Coffee Salt Bar Recipe

Here is another salt bar made from my weekend at Prairie Soap Company with Benjamin.  If you missed the African Black Soap Salt Bar – check it out here.

Cocoa and Coffee Salt Bar

The soap comes out ROCK HARD and seems to last quite a bit in the shower. My salt bars last forever.

Because they set up fast and hard, I prefer to do salt bars in individual cavity molds. My favorite salt bar shape, and a way to make them unique and different than my regular bar soap, is a half round /half cylinder shape. This mold from Bramble Berry is absolutely perfect.

ADDED:  I get this questions a lot.  “With 100% coconut oil, aren’t these going to be super harsh?”  NOPE!  We use a 20% superfat which means we have 20% of free unsaponified oils in our recipe to help counteract the high amount of coconut oil giving us a really nice bar of soap.

Cocoa and Coffee Salt Bar

Coconut oil – 756 g
Water – 220 g
Lye – 110 g

Fine Sea Salt – 378 g
Coffee grounds – 30 g
Cocoa powder – 10 g

Essential oil blend

Vanilla 10x – 10 g
Bitter Almond – 20 g
Fennel – 10 g
Patchouli – 5 g
Balsam Peru – 15 g
Ylang Ylang 3rd – 5 g

If you are new to making cold process soap, please visit my basic tutorial.

Step 1 – Make your lye solution.  Weight out the water and the lye into separate containers.  Pour the lye into the water and stir.  Set aside to cool down.

CocoaCoffeeSaltBar (2)

I added the cocoa and coffee to the lye solution, but cocoa is best mixed into the oils.  So add the coffee to the lye and add the cocoa to the oils.  Mix.

coffee and cocoa in lye water

Step 2 – Weigh out the coconut oil and melt.  Melt just until melted and no longer.  Set aside to cool down a bit.

coconut oil salt bars

CocoaCoffeeSaltBar (8)

Step 3 – Weigh out the salt and essential blend so that everything is ready to go!

Step 4 – Time to make soap!  Add the essential oil blend to the oils.  Add the lye solution to the oils.  Mix until you get a very light trace.

CocoaCoffeeSaltBar (13)

CocoaCoffeeSaltBar (10)

CocoaCoffeeSaltBar (15)

CocoaCoffeeSaltBar (17)

Once you have a light trace, add the salt.

CocoaCoffeeSaltBar (18)

Pour into the molds.

CocoaCoffeeSaltBar (19)

CocoaCoffeeSaltBar (26)

Mmmmmmmm these are decadent.  The essential oil blend is amazing.

Salt soap gets hard pretty fast so you’ll be able to unmold the same day!

Be sure to let these beauties cure for a good 4-6 weeks and they’ll become nice and mild.

Happy (Salt Bar) Soaping!

-Amanda Gail

(Some links above are affiliate links which generate a very small revenue to help support the Lovin’ Soap blog and help us deliver all of the free tutorials and content to our readers!  They cost you nothing to click.  Thanks for your support!)

1. Amy June 16, 2017 at 10:53 am - Reply

Hi! I am wanting to order these molds from BB. How many do I need for this recipe? Thanks!

2. aida September 18, 2016 at 4:36 am - Reply

Dear Amanda,
    I have read the ‘Sea Clay & Avocado Spa bar’ recipe in the free PDF guide..

My question:
    1) Is the sea clay & avocado spa bar can be used every day on the face?
    Or is it used twice a week as a scrub to the face?
    If used every day, will it make face feeling dry?

2) I believe that the cocoa & coffee salt bar can be used as a facial bar too.
    Can we use it every day as a facial bar or I should use it twice in a week as a scrub?
    If used every day, will it make face feeling dry?

Thank you.

3. aida September 18, 2016 at 4:16 am - Reply

Thank you for the excellent sharing..
    May I know whether Cocoa and Coffee Salt Bar (with 50% salt of oil) , is suitable for body soap bar…or for face bar?
    Thank you.

4. Al February 21, 2016 at 4:17 am - Reply

hello
    good job done here, thanks a lot
    I’ve made two batches of this kind soap and made great fans, I just wanted to know is there any way to shorten the time needed to cure these cold process soaps from 4 weeks to shorter than 1 week? any idea like heating in oven? have had any experience?
    much gratitude

5. Chris December 2, 2015 at 10:14 pm - Reply

I am very sensitive to fragrances. Will it totally unbalance the recipe if I left out the fragrance oils? If so, could I just add another kind of oil instead, like olive or grapeseed or soybean…?

6. Kat September 9, 2015 at 6:40 pm - Reply

Wonderful soap! Scented mine with anise and clementine eo! Will be making more for sure!

7. sharon July 23, 2015 at 4:03 pm - Reply

Why those essential oils, could I not just use coffee eo, or is there other blends I can use

• Amanda Gail July 24, 2015 at 2:14 pm - Reply

You can use whatever scent that you’d like. Fragrance is all about personal preference.

• Sharon July 24, 2015 at 6:12 pm - Reply

Thankyou, I thought they may have had a specific purpose

8. MS February 9, 2015 at 10:31 am - Reply

Hi Amanda, can I add some shea butter with the coconut oil. How much should I add?

9. feli January 23, 2015 at 1:19 am - Reply

dear amanda,
    im new on making soap bar.
    Do you or anyone can please tell me, the yield of this recipe ?
    since it hard to find soap mold here, i’m using 7cm round pudding silicone mold.
    do you think 6 mold would be enough?
    thankyou 🙂

10. Sadia December 9, 2014 at 11:47 pm - Reply

Love this soap. Scented mine with a mix of coffee and chocolate fragrance oils

11. Tracy Howell November 13, 2014 at 11:12 am - Reply

LOVE your recipes!! However, to be more cost effective to my customers, what EO’s or even FO’s would be a good substitution? I would love to offer more of a vanilla/coffee/chocolate type scent.

12. dina October 27, 2014 at 7:47 am - Reply

hi, can i make salt bars with different oil than coconut oil or even a blend of oils as it is so expensive here, thanks in advance.

13. Julia October 22, 2014 at 8:51 pm - Reply

I love love love this recipe! I had to sub orange for bitter almond (not available in NZ) but I love it, so amazing (I couldn’t get 10x vanilla either so used normal vanilla). I did find that the essential oil made it move really fast but I might have stirred a bit much, I’ll know for next time. Thanks for sharing

14. Colleen October 7, 2014 at 7:02 pm - Reply

You mentioned a 20% super fat. Can you tell me what you used and when you added to the process.
    Thanks!

• Amanda October 11, 2014 at 10:45 am - Reply

Hi Colleen – its already figured into the recipe and added to all of the oils.

15. Ashley September 18, 2014 at 12:10 pm - Reply

Can I pour into a rectangular box mold, then cut these? Or are salt bars too hard for slicing? Thanks!

16. Wallis August 9, 2014 at 6:32 pm - Reply

Hi,
    What does iodized salt do in a salt bar? I grabbed the wrong salt box a couple of weeks ago and ended up using iodized salt in a batch of salt bars. So far, doesn’t look any different than usual and seemed ok when I tried it out-a little early….?? Can’t find any info on why iodized salt is bad and would love to know.
    Thanks,
    Wallis

17. wallis July 27, 2014 at 9:36 pm - Reply

do you leave the coffee grounds in the lye solution or do you strain out before adding to oils?
    Thanks,
    Wallis

• Amanda August 2, 2014 at 10:37 am - Reply

I leave them in for a scratchy exfoliating soap…

18. Maria Mitchell July 8, 2014 at 10:34 pm - Reply

I’m looking forward to following your website!

19. Julia June 19, 2014 at 5:08 am - Reply

Ola Amanda, I made these salt bars yesterday and I used coarse sea salt! I mix it with the soap and I could feel that the salt would not melt, it started to thicken so I poured it on the molds anyway…will I be able to use these bars? And I have another question, do you have a receipt for salt bars using olive oil and coconut oil? thank you so much

20. Marilyn Paisley June 8, 2014 at 10:57 am - Reply

Hello facebook, and soapy friend, I would like to know where you got that great silicone mold ( the half circle )?
    Wonderful recipes by the way, looking forward to trying some of them.

Marilyn

21. Akeylah May 31, 2014 at 8:40 pm - Reply

That mold from Bramble Berry seems FANTASTIC! Rounded on the bottom for easy mold release. Yaasss. I need this for my salt bars 🙂

22. Siham May 28, 2014 at 3:59 am - Reply

Hi Amanda, thanks for all these tips!!!! I’ve just a question: Adding essential oils in oils doesn’t “burn” them? does lye affect them? Sorry for my english, not a native speaker 😉

23. holly May 23, 2014 at 3:50 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for this recipe, it sounds amazing and is on my list to make. When you say “coffee grounds” in your recipe, do you mean used coffee grounds (I save for exfoliants in my soaps). Or unused as you want the stronger color/scent from them? Thanks again.

• Amanda May 27, 2014 at 11:15 am - Reply

You can actually use either! You get more color from unused but scent from the coffee usually doesn’t make it through the process.

24. Wallis Lahtinen May 23, 2014 at 8:57 am - Reply

I love salt bars! Can Himalayan pink salt be used in a salt bar? I was thinking of throwing in just a little (w/ regular salt) for color and putting some on top of the bars …?
    Thanks,
    Wallis

• Amanda May 27, 2014 at 11:16 am - Reply

Yes! I love Himalayan pink salt in salt bars!

25. Dori May 8, 2014 at 9:40 am - Reply

I am so going to try these. I have been using your recipes and love your commitment to palm free soap. I have always wanted to try vanilla, but have not found a place that carries vanilla 10x. Can you give the source, please?

26. Darlene May 2, 2014 at 9:27 am - Reply

These sound decadent. I love salt bars too!

27. nicole May 2, 2014 at 9:02 am - Reply

Hey Amanda – I made your pumpkin coconut bars almost two years ago and still using them – they never sweat, they are awesome – thank you!! I want to make this and I love the EO combination, however, I have had to go nut-free so the almond would need to be traded out – what would be a suitable replacement for a still awesome blend, or would the blend still be awesome without it? thanks so much for sharing!!

• Amanda May 2, 2014 at 2:04 pm - Reply

Ooooooh, you could increase the balsam and add some folded orange. That would be lovely.

28. Cyndi May 1, 2014 at 10:56 am - Reply

This bar is a beautiful color and must smell amazing, but with it being a pure coconut oil an salt bar, I would be afraid it would take your hide right off!

• Amanda May 1, 2014 at 10:58 am - Reply

Hi Cyndi! When doing 100% coconut oil in salt bars we use a 20% superfat which leaves plenty of free oils to make it nice and mild.

29. Janelle May 1, 2014 at 10:10 am - Reply

I love this!! Where oh where do you get your bitter almond essential oil? I’ve been looking for an all natural almond scent and haven’t been able to find one. I don’t want any of the synthetics of the FOs.
    Thanks!