Tallow Soap Recipes

I received an email this weekend from someone looking for tallow soap recipes. If you’ve been reading my blog for awhile, you know that I LOVE lard and tallow soaps. I started my soapmaking journey making soap with lard and tallow.

Tallow contributes to hard and white bar of soap with creamy stable lather.

There are a TON of websites that can help you render your own. Do a Google search for how to render tallow for soap. I went to our local butcher and got a pound of tallow to make soap with.

Tallow Soap Recipes

Here are four of my favorite tallow recipes. Each recipe provided is in percentages (so you can re-size) and 32 ounces. The 32 ounce version of the recipe fits comfortably into a Bramble Berry 10″ Loaf Mold or the 12″ Tall Skinny Loaf Mold.

Tallow Soap Recipes

The Trifecta Tallow Recipe

Tallow – 10.56 oz. (33%)
Coconut Oil – 10.56 oz. (33%)
Olive Oil – 10.88 oz. (34%)
Sodium Hydroxide – 4.67 oz.
Water – 9.34 oz.

The Trifecta Tallow Recipe is great to start with. Then you can modify it using these helpful tips.

Nourishing Tallow Recipe

Tallow – 8 oz. (25%)
Coconut Oil – 8 oz. (25%)
Olive Oil – 16 oz. (50%)
Sodium Hydroxide – 4.54 oz.
Water – 9 oz.

The Nourishing Tallow Recipe is high in olive oil making a more gentle and mild soap.

The Fancy Tallow Recipe

Tallow – 7.68 oz. (24%)
Coconut Oil – 5.12 oz. (16%)
Shea Butter – 2.56 oz. (8%)
Olive Oil – 10.88 oz. (34%)
Avocado Oil – 1.92 oz. (6%)
Rice Bran Oil – 3.84 oz. (12%)
Sodium Hydroxide – 4.37 oz.
Water – 8.74 oz.

The Fancy Tallow Recipe brings more butters and liquid oils into the mix.

Extra Bubbly Tallow Recipe

Tallow – 6.4 oz. (20%)
Coconut Oil – 10.88 oz. (34%)
Olive Oil – 12.8 oz. (40%)
Castor Oil – 1.92 oz. (6%)
Sodium Hydroxide – 4.64 oz.
Water – 9.28 oz.

The Extra Bubbly Tallow Recipe is high in coconut oil and lather-boosting castor oil creating a super-lathery bar of soap.

-Amanda Gail

1. Hannah August 18, 2018 at 6:22 pm - Reply

I just made your Trifecta recipe ๐Ÿ™‚ What’s the superfat percentage? I can’t figure it out with a lye calculator.

2. Simone November 28, 2017 at 6:30 pm - Reply

Hi Amanda I would love to see more photos of designs you made in your tallow soap. Thank you for the recipes.

3. Tanya November 13, 2017 at 5:59 am - Reply

I just started making soap and I just want to make sure these are cold process recipes. Thanks

4. Theresse November 3, 2017 at 10:17 pm - Reply

Hi there! Thank you for the recipes! It’s been years since I learned all about soap-making properties – hardness, softness, etc. I used to understand it well enough to create very good bars of soap (just for fun) but I just don’t have the energy to re-learn it all at this time! However I WOULD like to make a large batch for holiday gifts! I have a question about your Fancy Tallow Recipe: it looks wonderfully luxurious, but I’d like to ask how it will do in terms of hardness? I remember when I used to make my own recipes it took a long time to get a recipe that resulted in super hard bars that had just enough lather and were also very luxurious/conditioning. If you say this recipe of yours will make a hard bar of soap, I’m all over it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you!
    Theresse

5. Patrick January 22, 2017 at 8:24 am - Reply

2 bucks a pound for unrendered tallow? I pay anywhere from 15 cents-50 cents per pound. It’s not uncommon to get it for free if you ask nicely. Butchers throw away fat every day. The work is in rendering the fat. Cube or cut it up and do your rendering with other baking to save the energy

• LuAnn November 4, 2017 at 1:47 am - Reply

I’m guessing it depends on where you live, I have never found a single place that gives or throws fat away. We have MANY family owned butcher shops around here, as well as all of the large stores, and none of them sell unrenderded fat for less than $1.50 – $2.00 a pound, depending on the time of year. I was told by a few of them that they use the “extra” fat to mix with deer, elk, moose, etc. Also, leave it to the FDA, buffalo meat is considered to be too lean, and butcher’s are required to add beef fat to ground buffalo to make it 92% lean! Pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Anyway, it’s not cheap nor free to buy fat in Idaho! ๐Ÿ™„

6. Delilah November 5, 2016 at 11:01 pm - Reply

I just ran across your site but this morning I make goat milk tallow soap. The percentages were more like 52% tallow, 23% coconut and 23% olive oil. Is this going to be a problem? I am looking at buying your goat milk soap book. Are there tallow goat milk recipes in your book?
    Sure wish saw your site first??

7. Missy September 22, 2016 at 6:41 am - Reply

Hello,
    When measuring the tallow for the recipe, do you measure it melted or solid????

Also, do you need to wait for it to cool before adding in the lye mixture (im using a crockpot)
    Thank you!

• Amanda Gail September 22, 2016 at 10:05 am - Reply

You can measure it melted or solid. I measure it solid so that I’m only measuring out what I need.

No, if you are using the hot process method, you do not need to wait for it to cool.

8. Alex February 6, 2016 at 4:21 am - Reply

Hi Amanda, I’m guessing I can directly substitute the tallow for lard? I tried my first lard batch a while ago after roasting a pork joint and, quite by chance, ending up with this beautifully white, odourless fat left over. It did made a good bar but unfortunately I experimented with my first madder root lye infusion and, after filtering out the madder root, ended up with considerably less lye than I should have done. I didn’t think it was enough to make a difference until I realised how soft my soap was, did the calculation and realised I’d effectively superfatted at about 16%! It did harden up eventually after about 4 months ๐Ÿ™‚

• Amanda Gail February 6, 2016 at 11:55 am - Reply

You can! Just run it through a lye calc just in case there is a difference in lye required. Oh no on the madder! That’s a good lesson to learn, though. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Amanda Gail February 2, 2016 at 8:16 pm - Reply

Hi LuAnn! I buy rendered fat. I did process some deer fat, but I’m not a fan of processing the fat myself. I know many soapmakers who do! The #1 tip I’ve seen mentioned on message boards for making tallow soap and rendering the fat yourself is to run the fat through a sausage grinder to get it into small pieces. It helps it render faster.

10. LuAnn February 2, 2016 at 1:33 am - Reply

Hi! So I am curious, do you render your own tallow, or do you buy it? The very first time I made soap six years ago, I rendered my own, as my in laws were having a cow butchered. I’m not sure if I hated it because of how long it took, or the smell!! Since I hadn’t done it before I didn’t realize that I should have cut the fat into smaller pieces, so it took 2 days to get all of the useable fat liquefied, plus another day to rinse and clean it all! I loved the soaps I made with it, but I’ve never wanted to do it again!! I would like to start using it again for some of my soaps, but the 3 places I have checked want $2 a pound for the unrendered fat. Any tips to make it easier to render and cheaper? Thanks for posting the recipes! ๐Ÿ™‚