Paprika Lime Cold Process Soap

This is day 19 of my 30 day blogging challenge. My goal this month is to post one recipe every day. These recipes feature natural colorants and additives and are scented using natural essential oil blends.

Paprika Lime Cold Process Soap

They will all fit into a 10″ silicone loaf mold (affiliate link http://www.brambleberry.com/10-Silicone-Loaf-Mold–P5199.aspx?bb=5) from Bramble Berry. So let’s get started!

paprika soap colorant

Featured Ingredients:

Paprika – Paprika is a great natural colorant to use in soapmaking! It is made from ground peppers. You probably already have some in your cooking spices. As you can see from the picture above, it gives you a nice bright orange color. If you add it to the soap as a powder, you will get speckles and the soap will be gently exfoliating. If you infuse your oils and strain, then your soap will be nice and smooth.

Paprika Lime Cold Process Soap

Essential Oil Blend:
Lemongrass Essential Oil – 20 grams
Rosemary Essential Oil – 15 grams
Patchouli Essential Oil – 15 grams
Lime Essential Oil – 10 grams

Basic Soapmaking Process:

New to soapmaking? Visit our basic tutorial here.

Step 1 – Wearing safety gear, weigh out the lye and water into two separate containers.

Step 2 – Pour the lye into the water while stirring. Place in a safe place and let cool while you prepare the oils.

Step 3 – Weigh out the hard oils/butters and melt.

Step 4 – Weigh the liquid oils into the melted oils/butters. This helps cool the oils down.

Step 5 – Add essential oils and additives to the melted oils. Stick-blend to get rid of clumps if any occur.

Step 6 – Once both the lye solution and oils have cooled to under 100° F, add the lye solution to the oils and mix to trace. Be sure to wear goggles and gloves!

Step 7 – Pour the soap into your mold.

Step 8 – Unmold, cut and cure your soap for at least 8 weeks.

Amanda Gail

1. Laura July 20, 2017 at 3:28 pm - Reply

HI Amanda :),
    So excited to try this except I need to replace the Hemp Oil with something else. Do you have a good recommendation that would keep this as true to it’s original qualities as possible? Thanks so much!!!

2. Jayne August 22, 2016 at 12:50 pm - Reply

I’ve been wanting to make this soap since you posted it on your weekly update. Finally did it! I absolutely love it so far. Was very easy to make and was just enough for the loaf mold. And the smell is amazing! I thought initially the other essential oils would overpower the lime but they enhanced the lime beautifully. I am new to cold process soap making and this was the perfect recipe for a beginner. Keep posting such great recipes – please! Thank you!

P.S. Just a quick question – does it really take 8 weeks to cure as opposed to the normal 4 for other recipes?

• Amanda Gail August 22, 2016 at 1:03 pm - Reply

Oh goodness, I need to fix that. 4 weeks should be perfect!

3. Janie August 5, 2016 at 8:16 pm - Reply

Beautiful soap! Looks like a sunset. 🙂 Should I avoid using dark patchouli EOs in blends such as this? I had a lavender blend that called for patchouli and I think it was the dark patchouli that I didn’t like in it.

4. christine July 29, 2016 at 12:43 pm - Reply

HI Amanda! Anytime I use one of your recipes, I do not insulate or cover my soap as you do in your instructions. I get soda ash every time! yikes! Did I mis-read your directions?

• Amanda Gail August 22, 2016 at 1:03 pm - Reply

Ash is common in soap. You can spray with alcohol to help prevent it.

5. Ailuj December 12, 2015 at 11:46 pm - Reply

Just made this soap! The colour is great. Thanks for the recipe. I noticed it is really heavy on essential oils. Will the scent fade after time? I am finding it quite strong.

6. Fran July 30, 2015 at 8:34 am - Reply

Hi Amanda, did you infuse the spice in oils? Your soap looks smooth! Lovely orange – it’s my favorite color…

• Amanda Gail August 1, 2015 at 2:39 pm - Reply

HI Fran! I just added it to the oils so it is a bit speckled. 🙂 I love the orange as well!

7. Marilyn July 29, 2015 at 9:24 am - Reply

I’ve been looking for an orange colorant! Brilliant….I ran out of Brambleberrys tangerine wow and can’t wait the two weeks to get it…..thankyou so much.