Converting a recipe from percentages to ounces

IMG_0975

IMG_0975

Many times you run across recipes that are written in percentages. These are great because you can convert them into workable recipes for any size of mold or production.

Sometimes the process of converting percentages to the recipe size that you need can be confusing. Let’s walk through it.

I’ve got this nifty silicone mold from Bramble Berry. After checking out the website I see that it holds 50 oz of soap and measures 10″ x 3 5/8″ x 2.25″. Before I convert my recipe from percentages to ounces…I need to know the amount of oil that it holds.

50 oz of soap means it holds 50 oz of finished soap (water + lye+ oils). I need to know how much oil it will hold so I can convert my percentages to ounces of oils.

So for the BB loaf mold:
10 x 3.625 x 2.25 x .4 = 32.625 oz

I like to do fluffy tops so I will add about 4 extra ounces so I have enough soap on top.

My recipe needs to contain 37 oz of oils.

My recipe in percentages looks like this:

Olive oil – 50%
Coconut oil – 32%
Shea butter – 8%
Avocado oil – 8%
Castor oil – 2%

To convert the above percentages you will multiply each ingredient’s percentage by 37 oz which is your total oils needed (or the 100%).

Olive oil – 37 x .5 = 18.5 oz
Coconut oil – 37 x .32 = 11.84 oz
Shea butter – 37 x .08 = 2.96 oz
Avocado oil – 37 x .08 = 2.96 oz
Castor oil – 37 x .02 = .75 oz

So your oils needed will be:

Olive oil – 18.5 oz
Coconut oil – 11.84 oz
Shea butter – 2.96 oz
Avocado oil – 2.96 oz
Castor oil – .75 oz

Run this through a lye calc to get the lye amount needed.

Lye – 5.28 oz (5% SF)

I double my lye amount to get my water amount. (Ignore the water amount the lye calc gives you.)

Water – 10.56 oz

So my final recipe is:

Olive oil – 18.5 oz
Coconut oil – 11.84 oz
Shea butter – 2.96 oz
Avocado oil – 2.96 oz
Castor oil – .75 oz
Lye – 5.28 oz

Water – 10.56 oz

This recipe will make a total of 52.85 oz of soap.

BB’s site states that the mold will hold 50 oz…so we’re good! I always prefer to have a bit extra than not enough.

If you want extra to make higher peaked soap…then calculate for extra soap.

Amanda

16 Responses

Add yours
  1. Muito interessante seu blog, descobri nas minhas pesquisa pela net para obter mais informações sobre o método cold process para fazer sabonetes, estou iniciando minha produção e fazendo muitos testes. Apesar de estarmos muito distantes, afinal estou no Brasil, a net pode fazer com que esta distancia seja percorrida em segundos e me possibilita ter acesso as informações valiosas que tem aqui em suas publicações.

Obrigado pela atenção.

2. Carrie

Great, concise explanation that is easy to follow…..for the beginner and experienced soaper alike! Thanks for sharing this straight-forward system of conversion!

3. Excellent post! I often will convert from one to the other but just by plugging in oil amounts until the right percentage shows up. Your way much less time consuming. THANKS

4. Hope Cutbush

Wonderful job explaining a how to convert a recipe to fit your mold. I love your blog and feel like I have a friend sitting in my kitchen helping me everytime I read your post. Thank you for sharing so freely the information that many of us need to make our soap turn out to be something that we are proud to give to others.

5. Pooja

Why do you multiply the lye by two to get the amount of water & ignore the lye calculator’s amount of water? Just courious?

• Author

Hi! I do it to simplify things. It’s easy to remember. The standard amount on lye calcs is usually more water than what I prefer and makes a softer soap that needs a longer cure. The standard lye water ration on soapcalc is 3:1 and that is just too high.

6. Anne Hollin

Thank you so much. This post was extremely helpful and easy to follow.

7. I love shoes!

Hi, this is VERY useful, thank you. Please can I ask, you say ‘I use the formula l (length) x w (width) x h (height) x .4 to determine how many ounces of oil my recipe needs to be.’ Please can you tell me what the .4 is? You state after it that you add 4oz for the fluffy top but I don’t understand what the initial .4 is in the formula. Thank you.

8. This is really helpful when I first started making soap I struggled to get my head around that forumla, especially since in the UK we use gramms. Once I got a good set of digital scales that measures in oz it was so much easier to work out how much oil to use.

So would that water ratio to lye just be 2:1? I just normally use the lye calculator recommendation, but would this need less time to cure?

9. Amber

Great info, simplified!!

One question is in the BB lye calc what super fat % would you recommend??
    I tried the above amounts with diff % in the super fat column but didn’t get the amount of 5.28 as lye amount
    Could you please suggest the % or what would your recommendation be??

Thanks!!! :)