Ginger Soap – Using Fresh Ginger Pulp in Soap

Holly Port of Lotion Bar Cafe came down to visit a couple of weekends ago and help out with a class.  Unfortunately she wasn’t feeling well so we decided to juice some fresh ginger to hopefully knock out whatever was getting her.  As we got done juicing and started to clean up the juicer…we both kinda paused, looked at each other…and I think it was Holly that said…”let’s soap it!”  And “soap it” we did!

I took some of the ginger pulp and laid it out on a cookie sheet to dry a bit more.  Then I put it in a food processor shred it down some more.  We used about 1/4 cup in our three pound recipe.

Ginger Soap – Using fresh ginger pulp in soap

Ginger Soap Recipe:

Avocado oil – 2 oz
Coconut oil – 20 oz
Olive oil – 16 oz
Rice bran oil – 5 oz
Shea butter – 4 oz
Sunflower oil – 3 oz
Ground ginger pulp – 1/4 cup

Lye – 7.2 oz
Water – 12 oz

Make your lye solution.  Weight out the solid oils and melt.  Add the liquid oils to the melted oil.

Holly and I decided to add the ginger to the melted oils and stickblend to help break them up some more.

Add the lye solution and bring to trace.  We wanted to do two bars…one scented and one unscented.  So we divided our mixture at trace and scented one.

Then pour it into your mold!  We used mail tubes with liners to make cute 3″ round soaps.

After 24 hours, cut your soap and cure for about 4 weeks.

I used one today for the first time.  Its been curing about 2 weeks so I’ll let it keep curing a bit longer.  I love this recipe.  Its nice and hard (and palm free).  The lather is great and it rinses nicely without any tacky/sticky feel.  You can see some of the pulp in the soap so I was worried that it might be a bit scratchy like oatmeal.  It wasn’t scratchy at all.  You could feel it a bit if you really tried but it was really smooth.  It turned out to be a great soap!

-Amanda

ps – Do you want to purchase some of the liners used above?  I sell them 25 for $10.00 (includes US shipping).  Email me amanda@lovinsoap.com to order.  See original liner post on how to use them.

1. Roma October 21, 2017 at 12:43 pm - Reply

Hi Amanda can I use some ginger juice? If so, do I blend the ginger with distilled water?

2. Susan September 12, 2017 at 10:58 am - Reply

Good morning,
    I didnt see a post.. I might have missed it but I’m using a soap base. Can this ginger soap be added to the soap base? I don’t want to venture out into actually making the soap as of yet.

sue

3. Rhonda June 25, 2017 at 12:24 pm - Reply

Hello Amanda, Is this fresh ginger that was grated then added.

• Amanda Gail June 26, 2017 at 11:33 am - Reply

Yes it was. 🙂

4. Ebishola Miniru March 26, 2017 at 7:22 am - Reply

Greetings coming from the island of Barbados. I am a new soaper & wanted to make ginger soap so I googled. The pulp!… thanks Holly! It came out perfect! I also have two Moringa trees growing in my backyard & I recently used the juice & pulp from leaves along with ginger pulp to make my ginger moringa soap that came out such a lovely olive green color. I thank you both for my soaps!

5. Ifejika Felix April 25, 2016 at 8:53 am - Reply

My comment is that my country Nigeria is not high lighted for those you want to do business with. thank you.

6. Jude July 8, 2015 at 2:08 pm - Reply

Be careful not to use too much of the ginger pulp as it could clog your drain.

7. Alice June 25, 2015 at 11:33 pm - Reply

Am from Malaysia, I doubt we have Avocado oil here, is there any other alternative to replace?

8. coral August 17, 2014 at 9:09 pm - Reply

I hope sending this allowsbme to be part if your blog community

9. lexy walter May 2, 2014 at 2:43 pm - Reply

Could i always use goats milk in any of your recipes instead of water?

10. Lisa Atwood April 25, 2014 at 5:23 pm - Reply

Hi Amanda!
    I love how your recipe turned out, and can’t wait to try it. I’ve been soaping for quite a few years, but have yet to try ginger in my creations. It looks wonderful! I just have a question about something I noticed in your blog. You mentioned that this recipe is Palm free. Is Palm oil something that people dislike? Or were you merely commenting that the soap was hard even without Palm oil? I quite love Palm oil, personally, but I also like to learn about the likes and dislikes of other people. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe!
    Lisa

11. Riens handmade soap December 29, 2013 at 6:06 pm - Reply

I bet this soap smells wonderful.

12. ida walker June 12, 2013 at 6:16 pm - Reply

Hi, saw ur ginger pulp soap recipe, can i make this with a melt & pour base?

13. mumtaz June 12, 2013 at 8:38 am - Reply

hello.can you send me the pears soap making along with its recipe.,and
    did you made it?

14. Julie Batchelor January 22, 2013 at 9:20 pm - Reply

Love the recipe. I want to try it. just wondering why one soap looks a pinky color and the other a chalk color? Did you add any color additives? Which one is fragranced?

• Amanda January 23, 2013 at 8:43 am - Reply

Hi Julie, the one that is pink tinted has the essential oil in it. The other one does not.

15. Shelia January 17, 2013 at 9:22 am - Reply

Sorry, I’m late getting in on this….just happened to be looking up “using ginger in soap”. Was wondering if the ginger burned delicate areas any?

• Amanda January 23, 2013 at 8:56 am - Reply

Hi Shelia, there isn’t enough ginger in this recipe to burn. It turned out to be a really nice bar of soap.

16. Sofia Gomes January 13, 2013 at 2:57 pm - Reply

Hi!

Love your blog! I’m from portugal and i can’t find rice bran oil over here… How can i replace it in this recipe?

Thank you so much.

Sofia Gomes

• Amanda January 15, 2013 at 2:20 pm - Reply

Hi, you can sub with any other liquid oil (besides castor)…so you can use more olive, avocado, sunflower, safflower… Just be sure you run the recipe through a lye calc first.

• Amanda January 23, 2013 at 8:58 am - Reply

Hi Sofia, you can just use more olive oil in place of the rice bran, or even avocado or sweet almond oil.

17. holly port October 9, 2012 at 1:28 am - Reply

I just used one I brought back!!! Love it! can not wait until we get to play again!

18. BRONYA MUNN October 7, 2012 at 10:41 pm - Reply

Sounds and looks good, did the unscented one smell gingery?

• Amanda October 8, 2012 at 9:40 am - Reply

Nope, no ginger smell at all.

19. Jade October 7, 2012 at 2:02 am - Reply

What oil or frangrance did you used to scent the soap please? Ginger oil?

• Amanda October 8, 2012 at 9:41 am - Reply

No, we just used a litsea/lime/grapefruit EO blend.

• Jade October 18, 2012 at 7:30 pm - Reply

Thank you. New to your blog and it’s wonderful and very informative.

20. Gordana October 6, 2012 at 3:34 pm - Reply

What a beautiful soap! I’ve recently used ginger for the first time to make HP beer soap but added only ginger juice in it. I think that next time I will use ginger pulp as well. Thank you for the idea!

21. Ruth Esteves October 6, 2012 at 2:50 pm - Reply

I would have loved to have been there at that moment when you looked at each other and had the same “let’s soap it” thought. 🙂 So how does the unscented one smell?