Piping soap cupcakes – another palm free recipe

piped cupcake soap

I’m currently converting most of my recipes to being palm free. One technique I love to use is piping cold process soap on cupcakes. I do whipped soap also but this isn’t whipped soap. Its simply just waiting for the soap to get thick enough and then piping it. Super easy to do! So here is the recipe that I used:

Piping Soap Recipe:

Coconut oil – 16 oz
Olive oil – 13 oz
Shea butter – 3 oz
Lye – 4.7 oz
Water – 9 oz

I melted the coconut oil and shea butter, then added the olive oil.  Everything is ready to go.

Brought the mixture to a light trace and divided it out into three parts.

I put some pearl mica in the white base and then colored two parts purple and blue. I poured the base into the cupcake liners.

Then I waited until the purple and blue set up enough to pipe. I waited about 10 or so minutes and stirred every now and then to check the consistancy. Once it was thick enough I put it in a piping bag with a 1M tip. I like to set mine in a cup to hold things up straight while I fill the bag.

You can find all kinds of cupcake piping videos on youtube. I didn’t have enough hands to take pics of the whole process but I start with a blob in the middle.

Then starting on the outside…spiral to the inside.

And add glitter! I don’t know why…but I always have to top cupcake soaps with glitter.

Let these cure for 4 weeks. Here is a great video on how to cut your cupcake soap in half for easier use!

-Amanda

44 Responses

Add yours
  1. Спасибо за рецепт.
    Давно хотела кексы сделать, теперь еще и рецепт есть.

2. Your cupcakes look great. I’ll have to give it a try. How much soap do you set aside to mix for the frosting?

3. Just recently started reading your blog and you really inspire me! Beautiful work! Very pretty cups too. Where can they be found Amanda? Are they normal cupcake sized or condiment cups?

4. Thanks for sharing this. I haven’t ventured into the world of piping yet (despite the fact that I’ve taken cake decorating classes at a NYC culinary chool). For some reason it makes me nervous. I guess I’m afraid of acceleration or something. I’m going to give this a try with your tutorial in hand. :)

5. Chris

How do you not get soda ash on them? Mine always have white ash. Do you let them cure uncovered, room temp on a shelf? Thank you!

• Author

You can spray with alcohol to help reduce ash. I’ll check when I get home and see if they have ash.

• Author

Nope, no ash. I spray with alcohol to help prevent ash. Once right after I’m done and then again twice more in two hours and then about 4 hours.

6. Another amazing and so inspiring recipe by Amanda…I definitely will be giving this a try

7. Jennifer

Love them- great jobg! :) Can ya tell us about the cups?

8. I’m gonna add your website to my list of TO WATCH ! I love it. I loved your cupcakes, they look fabulous. I make my own cosmetics, but they don’t look so good ! Thanks for sharing such cuteness

9. faye

Love this…..I want to make some………….thanks for the recipe.

10. They are so cute!! Thank you for sharing. I have seen those cups on Amazon.com but they seem expensive. Do you have a source for them that you would be willing to share? Thanks .. Kim :)

• Oops… I see the comment on the cups now that I posted the same question. Sorry.. lol. I am always on the lookout for a good palm free soap recipe and just your recipe in soapcalc and it’s a really drying soap as written. Cleansing is way above and conditioning is below suggested ranges. Did I miss something? Thanks :)

• Author

Hi Kimberly – I don’t put alot of stock in what Soapcalc says a recipe is going to feel like. There are just so many more factors at play and I don’t judge a recipe until I’ve used it on my skin. This recipes does have a high amount of coconut oil but also has a high amount of olive oil to balance it out…along with the shea butter. You can also superfat a bit higher if you want.

• Kimberly

Thank you for your reply and sorry I am WAY late in responding.. lol. I realize now that I have several dozen batches of soap under my belt that the numbers on soap calc can be misleading. I have made a coconut only soap bar that is wonderful but the numbers on soap calc were through the roof!! :)

11. I need a color tutorial. What do I put my color in? soap or oil then mix wih the soap? I’ve found that when I mix the color in soap, it traces too quickly for me to do anything with. And when I mix the color in an oil, it doesn’t mix well with the soaps. Clearly I need help. Help!
    Thanks

12. kelly

I ran the soap recipe on the calc and the INS is a whopping 183 with a cleanse factor of 34- far above the recommended max of 22. Is the recipe correct or is there a typo?

• Author

Hi Kelly, I take the numbers and properties that Soapcalc gives you with a grain of salt. Yes, coconut oil can be drying, but not with a higher superfat or the right balance of other oils. Olive oil is very soft upon unmolding but cures out to be super hard. I’ve just never been a fan of following properties and such that soapcalc gives because I’ve found them to not be true to my experience with various recipes and oil properties.

13. Christine

Hi. I absolutely love this site! What I would like to know is, did you make the bases prior to piping (i.e) 24 hours before ? If so, are there any prepping tips before you begin to pipe onto the bases ? Also. was the base made of CP soap? Thanking you for your time and what you have already shared.

14. Thank you so much Amanda for the great effort you put in this blog and thank you a million for the important info you post for every one.

can’t thank you enough wish you all the best.

15. Tracycl

Thank you so much for posting this! I’ve been looking for a good tutorial on how to do this for what seems like forever!

Could you tell me, how many ounces is the finished soap cupcake?

Thanks again! :)

16. Shona

As with Eme above, whose question seems to remain unanswered, I’m also keen on knowing whether cupcake cp soaps need to be gelled the same as loaf soaps, or are they so small, that it doesn’t really matter?

Or should they be put in a large box, perhaps (so as not to ruin the tops), and covered over?

17. Question….what’s wrong with palm? I’m new to soap making and EVERYONE has given me a list of where to get palm or where to find shortenings that have palm in it. Then I seen this “palm free”. I trans out shea and replace mango butter in its place cuz I’m allergic to shea…so I was wondering if its an allergy or is there some bad thing it does to the skin…let me know.

Thanks.

18. Peggy Williams (South 47th)

I made these a few years ago (and still do). I let them gel, in fact I force gel. And I spray with alcohol just as Amanda has described which has helped with preventing “Ash”. I also scent the cupcake and ‘frosting’ separately with a nice compatible scent blend (EO’S). I use natural colourants and do not use Palm for environmental reasons. Happy Soaping! xo

19. Jeanett

Hi ! I looooooovveeeee your cupcaked they look so real! However i have a question, is there any kind of replacement for the shea butter? Thanks a lot !

20. Jeanett

Hi ! I looooooovveeeee your cupcakesbthey look so real! However i have a question, is there any kind of replacement for the shea butter? Thanks a lot !

21. Rebecca

Hi, I just started reading about soapmaking a few days ago and plan to use it as a surplus to my stand at farmers markets. I was wondering why you are trying to get away from using Palm Oil? Also- Is there a resource for recipes for scented soaps? Your blog has been a great help to me so far and I LOVE the cupcake idea!! Thanks.

22. I am curious to find out what blog platform you happen to be working with? I’m experiencing some small security issues with my latest website and I’d like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any solutions?|

23. Celeste

Video says it is private. Did I not do it right? I thin I want to try to make some cupcakes soaps but still a little scared about doing the frosting. Thank you

24. Mylo Hamilton

This recipe is fantastic! The bases pour beautifully and unmold easily. The frosting is easy to pipe and looks great. Just one question: If i want a pure white frosting, not a yellowish one, how would i achieve this, with which oils? I use coconut, shea & a light coloured olive oil but the “batter” always comes out yellow. Thanks! :-)

25. Leanne

I use to pipe my cakes which had sustainable palm in them, and now that I have gone palm free they go a bit flattish now lol.
    You have your measurements in oz :( and I only understand grams, so just wondering if you by any chance recall what your super fat % was?
    I would love for my icing to have the extra umph again :)

Thanks heaps